PAGE 278 - JANUARY 13, 2006
South Station - Boston, early 20th Century
South Station opened as South Union Station on January 1, 1899 at a cost of $3.6 million (1899 dollars).
It became the busiest station in the country by 1910.
A station on the Atlantic Avenue Elevated (see above) served the station from 1901 to 1938; what is now the Red Line subway was extended from Park Street to South Station in 1913.
Front of South Station looking west, towards the old Essex Hotel.
South Station "Midway," some time around 1912.
South Station Waiting Room.
The train shed was replaced in a 1930 renovation. While the station handled 125,000 passengers each day during World War II, after the war passenger rail declined in the U.S. In 1959, the Old Colony Railroad, which served the South Shore and Cape Cod, stopped passenger service. The New Haven Railroad went bankrupt in 1961. South Station was sold to the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) in 1965.